Thursday, August 21, 2008

Chicago trip


The town of Sturgis was CRAZY with motorcycles!! They were everywhere. If I was into motorcycles it would have been really cool. We didn't really walk around much. It was a little intimidating and we would have felt really conspicuous walking around with a baby. It just felt wrong. I did get out of the car on a side street and walked a few blocks. I was greeted with an eyeful of old women dressed like teenagers. A particularly memorable one was a 60ish woman wearing a thong bikini, chaps and tatoos. She was in shape (luckily) but it was still 60 year old skin and it wasn't pretty.
We took this picture of Logan on a Harley in a Burger King parking lot. As we were driving through town earlier, Krista joked that if someone commented on the baby, as people tend to do, we should say, "Thanks, can we get a picture of him on your bike?" Not thinking that would ever happen we just laughed about it.
So I was sitting in the car in the parking lot while Krista ran inside for a drink and I had the door open with my legs out because of the heat with Logan on my lap. A group of bikers drive up and park nearby and the biker chick says." Oh a baby, can I come see him?" I think PERFECT. "Sure," I say," can I get a picture of him on your bike?" So she went and asked her husband and they were really nice and he took his shirt off and put it down on the hot part of the motorcycle so Logan wouldn't get burned. I had my huge zoom lens on my camera but I wasn't about to miss the opportunity by stopping to change it so I had to back up really far to get a picture. Logan wasn't looking at me so I am calling his name and the biker guy comes back by me and is trying to get his attention too. I really wish I had the situation on video cause it was really funny seeing the shirtless tattoed biker waving at the baby. So I took a few pictures and wished the bikers a fun time at the rally and then surprised Krista with the pictures when she got back to the car.



So after Sturgis we went to Mt Rushmore about 40 miles away which was also swarming with bikers. It was pretty neat but didn't take much time to go through the museum and take a few pictures of the rock. You could hike up to the faces but I was NOT interested in doing that with a baby on my back.

We stopped a few more places before we got to Chicago but this was our major excitement for the trip.

In Chicago we walked down the Miracle Mile - just a street with a lot of stores- and down to Navy Pier. We h ad lunch at Giordano's pizza which was AWESOME!!! The American Girls store was crazy with so much stuff to buy all for a DOLL!! I'm sure we will buy a few things for Noelle at some point but some of it was ridiculous. I guess all the rich people need something to spend their money on to make up for not spending time with their kids! (Just kidding)
I really enjoyed the city of Chicago. It was neat seeing the huge skyscrapers that are much taller than the ones here. The part we were in seemed nice and normal. I was waiting to run into all the freaks we usually have around our city but I only saw 1 or 2. There were lots of families and regular looking people wearing clothes from JCPenney.

I am running out of time to write due to a crying baby so I will wrap up by saying we had a GREAT time and Logan behaved AMAZINGLY well. I figured he would be good but he was beyond good. So thanks for your prayers.
Krista is now safely settled in a house in Wheaton with 4 other girls and enjoying her job and the humidity (crazy but she likes it).
Posted by Picasa

No comments: